It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 am

Div II Region 4 Playoff Bracket is Stacked

Home of the toughest football in Texas

Div II Region 4 Playoff Bracket is Stacked

Postby 97StateChamp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Although I do not like to make too much of rankings at this point in the season; especially in Class 1A, Dave Campbells THSFB Rankings(week 9 is up as of present time) for Class 1A Div II shows 5 of the 12 teams in the Region IV playoff bracket rated in the top 10(Burton, D'Hanis, Falls City, Bruni, Sabinal).
That's just craziness!

Dave Campbells THSFB Rankings Link: http://www.texasfootball.com/class-1a-dii/
Class 1A Div II Bracket Link: http://www.texasfootball.com/assets/201 ... 1A-DII.pdf

I'm a former Granger player/fan, but even if we make it out of round one by beating Runge, D'Hanis is sitting there . That also goes for mostly all the 2nd/3rd place teams in Region 4. If you win your first round match-up, you will likely be taking on a so called top 10 team. I don't really see that kind of thing going on in any other region this year.

Welcome to the playoffs and good look to everyone, except if you play Granger of course:)
97StateChamp

Re: Div II Region 4 Playoff Bracket is Stacked

Postby BigRed74 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Honetly man you aint got to worry about your home team in the playoffs this year I can speak for alot of people when I say that there are several team in region four that are overrated. Them big boys I saw from Granger in the Bremond game are going to run right over the competition in region 4. Including D'Hanis.
BigRed74

Postby willharris » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 am

Haven't seen Granger but them losing to Bartlett would worry me. It is a tough region. But region 3 might be the deepest with Teneha Chilton Bremond Hubbard and mt enterprise. Should be fun to watch it play out!
willharris

Postby Theophileous » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:05 am

Bartlett should beat Woodsboro and Bruni. They will face Falls City. Granger will beat Runge and play D'Hanis. The winner will face Burton. I see another Burton vs. Falls City matchup for Quarterfinals. In Region 3, I see a Chilton vs. Teneha matchup for Quarterfinals.
Theophileous

Postby Theophileous » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:10 am

I going to take a long leap and say we are looking at a Chilton vs. Burton in Semi-finals. Remember Burton beat Chilton earlier in the year so they will be looking for revenge. They definitely have the incentive.

What do you think?
Theophileous

Postby willharris » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:57 am

That would be a fun rematch...I'm sure both teams are playing better than they were week 2. By the time u reach the semi's I'm sure the motivation of playing in Jerry world for a state championship would outway revenge. But I'm sure teams like mt enterprise, Hubbard, teneha and bremond will make it as tough as they can for Chilton to get there!
willharris

Postby Theophileous » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:41 am

Chilton and Burton are definitely both not the teams they were early in the season. I could tell then that Burton was very fortunate that they caught them early. This is a good team. But, Burton is not the same as it was early either. Burton had a team that was far from mature. They have matured each week and appear to be hitting their peak just at playoff time. I feel they will be prepared for any team in their region. And ready for any champion that wins Region 3, including Chilton.

Can they make it that far without injuries? We'll see. Burton has good team speed. They appear at this point to be ready for the challenge. They weren't really challenged in their district except by Milano and that took two overtimes. Milano never recovered. And, they were supposed to win the district! But, as I said, this isn't the same Burton team. And, that was a long time ago.

Burton must stop reading the polls and take one game at a time. They'll lose if they start looking too far ahead! There are some great teams to beat in Region 4. Remember, Granger and Bartlett were in their district. Both want another shot at them. Burton is ranked above all the teams in Region 3 and 4 in most polls. That puts a big target on their back. There's a lot of football before they even think about knocking on Jerry's door!
Theophileous

Postby BigRed74 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:49 pm

I think we're leaving Hubbard and Bremond out here. Tenaha is good for as young as they are, but Bremond and Hubbard's experience will win out in a game against Tenaha this year. And I think Granger could pull an upset against Burton if they play again. I know that Burton has Granger out matched with their speed but I believe in the underdogs.
BigRed74

Postby willharris » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Bigred, if u read my last post I most certainly didn't leave bremond and Hubbard out of it...I know they are both legitimate threats. Honestly Chilton doesn't need to look past Frost/Detroit at the moment. We will cross the other bridges only when and if we get to them!
willharris

Postby BigRed74 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Ya, you got me. guess I was just tryin to jump into the conversation. Mainly reffering to the tenaha post, no biggy.
BigRed74

Postby willharris » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 am

Chilton football may not like Bremond football but we've had enough wars thru the years we wouldn't overlook them. [-x
willharris

Postby Theophileous » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:19 pm

The game to watch in Region 4 is going to be D'Hanis vs. Burton. D'Hanis is rated below Burton on several polls. I don't know if the Cowboys are ready for Burton's speed. They certainly had a hard time beating Sabinal. But, we shall see. Both D'Hanis and Burton have a game to play before that time.

Burton lost last year in the Quarterfinals to Teneha. They are anxious to get another shot at whomever prevails in Region 3. Will it be Teneha? I don't think so. But, Teneha sure has a tradition of winning. When it come to the playoffs it certainly helps to have playoff experience.
Theophileous

Postby willharris » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Experience is important but coaching and talent are also. Can't wait to get started. I am going to have to find a game close to the Waco area since Chilton has a bye..
willharris

Postby Theophileous » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:35 pm

There is a Class A Div I Region II game, Hico (7-3) vs. Kerens (5-5), 7:30 p.m. Friday, Waco Robinson.
Theophileous

Postby Driftwood » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Burton lost in the semifinals.
Driftwood

Postby Theophileous » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Driftwood, my mistake! You are correct. Burton's playoff record last year:

Playoffs: Division II Semifinals
vs Sabine Pass (2-7) (at Huffman) (W 43-13) Bi-District
vs D’Hanis (8-3) (at Wimberley) (W 47-20) Area
vs Granger (10-2) (at Elgin) (W 17-7) Regionals
vs Falls City (10-3) (at Buda) (W 55-30) Quarterfinals
vs Tenaha (14-0) (at A&M Consolidated) (L 28-63) Semifinals

Burton lost in the Quarterfinals in 2010 to Falls City. They were able to beat Falls City the next year, 2011. Burton now attempting to beat both marks this year by going to the State finals! I definitely think they have the best chance overall this year. They had pretty much built all their offense around Xavier Bethany last year. Bethany was injured early and made it back but was never quite the same. Still quite the athlete. But, I see a lot of talent thoughout this team in 2012. I will be VERY surprised if they don't make a deep run.
Theophileous

Postby willharris » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks...I may have to check out the Hico /Kerens game...Robinson is only about 15 miles from Chilton ..
willharris

Postby Theophileous » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:21 am

Hico/Kereans are both in Region 2. It's hard to pick a winner out of Region 2. Cayuga vs San Saba is the game to watch this weekend in my estimation. Honey Grove has probably the best record in Region. Will they prevail? Lots of football left to decide that winner.
Theophileous

Postby Theophileous » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:31 am

I see Granger upsetting Runge and Bartlett upsetting Woodsboro. Sabinal prevails against Charolotte. La Pryor and RockSprings is a toss up. Let me know how you see it playing out this weekend.
Theophileous

Postby willharris » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm going Granger over runge and woodsboro over Bartlett. I know Runge beat Woodsboro but I think Woodsboro is a bigger threat than Ringer is..
willharris

Postby willharris » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Curious to see who wins Detroit vs Frost....I think I'm taking Frost in this one.
willharris

Postby Theophileous » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:40 am

Frost vs Detroit is like Overton vs Wortham! How do you pick a winner here? I'll take Detroit and Wortham!

I do think the Granger vs Runge and Bartlett vs Woodsboro will show whether Burton or Falls City had the stronger district this year. That might give us a hint which team could come out on top should Falls City and Burton meet. First, Burton will have to get past D'Hanis if D'Hanis can beat the winner of the Runge/Granger game. I still see a Granger vs Burton rematch in the make. But, that's only because I have seen Granger play and I haven't seen D'Hanis or Runge play.
Theophileous

Postby Theophileous » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 am

Texas Football ranks Burton 4th, D'Hanis 5th, Falls City 6th, Bruni 8th, and Sabinal 10th in 1a Div II play at this time. Hubbard in Region 3 is the only other ranked team on this side of the playoff bracket! Hubbard is ranked 7th.

I see Chilton as the stronger team in Region 3. More so than Hubbard. But, both Chilton and Bremond got pretty beat up in their last match of District 12. I also think that D'Hanis had a quarterback break his arm the last district game. He should be out for the year. Injuries always play a big role in 1A. There just aren't that many teams that can do without their star players. Burton only had one game this year with two starters sitting out the next game. Granger beat them up a little. Granger is a tough competitor. Burton won that game 33-20. Granger lost to Bartlett (which is always a rivalry game). I'm seeing Granger STOMP Runge by at least two touchdowns! I think a lot of people also will be surprised by Bartlett!

I heard Barlett lost a coach to suicide the week of their game with Burton. That would explain a lot. May be a different game if Burton and Barlett meet in the Quarterfinals!

I am SO ready for the playoffs! Can't wait to see how all this turns out! If you don't have the Friday Night Rivals app for your smartphone then get it and score your local game for free. It only costs you 1.99 if you want the instant notifications during the games! It helps all of us that can't make it to every game keep up with the game during all the action! Great app for High School football lovers!
Last edited by Theophileous on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theophileous

Postby beaver gal » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Chilton is Region III, as is Hubbard.
beaver gal

Postby beaver gal » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Sabinal beats Charlotte, and will play FC next week. Woodsboro wins tonight, too!
beaver gal

Postby D16Fan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Looks like Bartlett is out of this one. Woodsboro wins 50-20.
D16Fan

Postby willharris » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:17 pm

I was right about the woodsboro/Bartlett game. Didn't see Bartlett winning that one.
willharris

Postby TX22 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 pm

D16Fan wrote:Looks like Bartlett is out of this one. Woodsboro wins 50-20.

Bonner had 100+ rushing, 60+ receiving, 30+ passing, 1 forced fumble and 2 TDs.

D16, someone mentioned that the game is Friday in Kingsville at 1:00pm. You hearing anything on your end? Kingsville makes sense.
TX22

Postby Theophileous » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 am

Hard for Bartlett to win when you fumble eight times and lose four of them to a good team like Woodsboro. You have to give the Eagles credit for taking advantage and give the Bulldogs the blame for all the turnovers. That's just giving the game away! Congratulations Eagles!
Last edited by Theophileous on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theophileous

Postby Theophileous » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:00 am

Can unranked Woodsboro beat #8 Bruni? D16 want to make a prediction?
Theophileous

Postby TX22 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 am

Theophileous wrote:Hard for Bartlett to win when you fumble eight times and lose four of them to a good team like Woodsboro. You have to give the Eagles credit for taking advantage and give the Bulldogs the blame for all the turnovers. That's just giving the game away! Congratulations Eagles!

Don't forget about the INT and the blocked punt.
TX22

Postby spotgill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:00 am

Woodsboro vs Bruni @ Kingville Friday Nov. 23 @ 1pm. Woodsboro by 14.
spotgill

Postby Theophileous » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:15 pm

Absolutely, TX22. Don't take anything away from the Eagles. They capitalized. Forced a turnover or two. They made it happen. That's what good teams do! Great win! I look forward to seeing what they can do against Bruni.
Theophileous

Postby D16Fan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Not sure what will happen. If you had asked me a few weeks back I would've been sure Bruni would take it. However, not sure if coming off two BYE weeks is a good thing or bad. Guess we will see next Friday. I was able to catch the Woodsboro/Academy game wasn't too impressed. 15-12 in the 4th if I remember. Since then Woodsboro could have gotten a lot better though.
D16Fan

Postby Driftwood » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Two off weeks in 2010 was great for Falls City they had all kind of energy.
Driftwood

Postby TX22 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:17 pm

D16Fan wrote:Not sure what will happen. If you had asked me a few weeks back I would've been sure Bruni would take it. However, not sure if coming off two BYE weeks is a good thing or bad. Guess we will see next Friday. I was able to catch the Woodsboro/Academy game wasn't too impressed. 15-12 in the 4th if I remember. Since then Woodsboro could have gotten a lot better though.

They have gotten better but I'd be willing to bet that Bruni has too. Woodsboro has been fighting for their lives for a few weeks and Bruni has been abke to rest and should be fresh. If Woodsboro can get Bonner going and establish the running game they'll definitely have a shot.
TX22

Postby spotgill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:27 pm

If I remember correctly D16Fan a norther had blown in and it was raining during the Woodsboro/Academy game. Woodsboro knows it will be a tough game because it always is when we play Bruni but I can promise you they will not give up. Should be a great game.
spotgill

Postby spotgill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:28 pm

You better just not worry about Bonner.
spotgill

Postby beaver gal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:13 pm

D14 will have 3 teams still playing next week! Good wins, Boro and Runge!
beaver gal

Postby dambeaver » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Theophileous wrote:Frost vs Detroit is like Overton vs Wortham! How do you pick a winner here? I'll take Detroit and Wortham!

I do think the Granger vs Runge and Bartlett vs Woodsboro will show whether Burton or Falls City had the stronger district this year. That might give us a hint which team could come out on top should Falls City and Burton meet. First, Burton will have to get past D'Hanis if D'Hanis can beat the winner of the Runge/Granger game. I still see a Granger vs Burton rematch in the make. But, that's only because I have seen Granger play and I haven't seen D'Hanis or Runge play.

Theo---which district is stronger?
dambeaver

Postby spottedspeckledtrout » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:53 pm

big wins for woodsboro and runge--way to go eagles and yellowjackets!!!
spottedspeckledtrout
Donating Member

Postby D16Fan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 pm

spotgill wrote:If I remember correctly D16Fan a norther had blown in and it was raining during the Woodsboro/Academy game. Woodsboro knows it will be a tough game because it always is when we play Bruni but I can promise you they will not give up. Should be a great game.

Yep, it's going to be a good one. Hopefully Bruni brings their A-game. Sounds like Woodsboro will be a tough one.
D16Fan

Postby spottedspeckledtrout » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 pm

woodsboro is good
spottedspeckledtrout
Donating Member

Postby spottedspeckledtrout » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:29 am

BigRed74 wrote:Honetly man you aint got to worry about your home team in the playoffs this year I can speak for alot of people when I say that there are several team in region four that are overrated. Them big boys I saw from Granger in the Bremond game are going to run right over the competition in region 4. Including D'Hanis.

them big boys from granger could not even beat runge

i guess d'hanis will have to loose to someone else

=)) =)) =))

the overrated team in region 4 is ...............

Granger
spottedspeckledtrout
Donating Member

Postby warrior12 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:26 am

Great job Runge
warrior12

Postby 97StateChamp » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:37 am

Granger the most overrated team in Region IV, I don't think so. Hell, we were the 3rd place team in our district. Some people might have said we would run all over Runge with our "big boys", but the way we played the last couple of weeks, I could see this comming. Turnovers and penalities really cost us last night. Granger lost a lot of talented seniors last year and is just starting to rebuild. I mean, it was Runge 8 Granger 0 still in the middle of 4th.

Granger will be back in a couple of years to make another deep run for a few years(not next year though). I have to say the 8th grade team comming up seems to very, very, special. The best I seen since I was school and my 8th grade year we went undefeated and got to regionals my sophmore/junior years and won state my senior year in 1997. I hate projecting these things, but sometimes you can just tell. They have been playing together since pee-wee football. Oh well, I guess we will see in the next few years.

Good look to everyone else still in the playoffs. Represent Region IV and bring back the State Championship trophy. Especially to our fellow district team, Burton. Good luck Panthers!
97StateChamp

Postby Theophileous » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:38 am

Burton still leads Regions 3 and 4 in polls. Other polls moved Burton down below D'Hanis and Falls City. Probably because of the losses by Granger and Bartlett. They see Burton as possibly overrated coming out of a weaker district. Others look at Burton's performance last year in Semi-final loss to Teneha. Teneha is not believed to be the same team as last year so many are predicting Burton to be a player at State.

What do you think? Is Burton overrated in your mind after seeing Granger and Bartlett lose? Is Falls City the one to look for in State this year representing Regions 3 and 4? If so, which team will they have to beat out of Region 3 in Semi-finals?
Last edited by Theophileous on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theophileous

Postby Theophileous » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:10 am

The Burton Panthers face Rocksprings in the Class 1A-DII Region VI area round. Rocksprings defeated La Pryor 35-21 in bidistrict round to advance. Burton received a first-round bye for winning the District 13-1A championship. The Panthers are 9-1 on the season while Rocksprings is 6-6.

The last time the Burton Panthers played the Rocksprings Angoras in playoffs was 11/26/2010. Burton Panthers 42 Rocksprings 14. I think we'll see much the same score this week.
Theophileous

Postby spottedspeckledtrout » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 pm

burton wins easily
spottedspeckledtrout
Donating Member

Postby willharris » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:43 pm

I agree Burton wins easily. The match up in region 3 appears to be Bremond vs Hubbard. 5-5 Chilton vs 10-1 Frost is the one I will be at. After a bye week I'm ready for some football. Good luck to everyone this week. Happy Thanksgiving! !
willharris

Next

Return to 2A Texas Football